? Unfortunately you can't play Drakensang Online in this browser.

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Xasshaiza, Feb 28, 2018.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xasshaiza

Xasshaiza Forum Greenhorn

I am trying to play from Kongregate, using Chrome, and I got this message! =(

Quote: "Unfortunately you can't play Drakensang Online in this browser.
    Please try again with the Microsoft Internet Explorer (32 bit)."

Why?!! =( IE is NOT SAFE! Why would you require a defunct browser to play your game?!

2. Hetsunien

Hetsunien Padavan

Because the game needs Java to run in browsers and Chromium derivates don't support this plugin, only IE does.

trakilaki likes this.
  3. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

Are you afraid someone is going to steal your nuclear launching codes?
    I am playing the game via IE and never had any issues.
    Other browsers are not supported because they no longer offer NPAPI (Java) support ... it is more a matter of to the latest web programming trend and the exclusion of the plugins with HTML 5. In order to play the game in browser you need Java installed on your PC.
    Anyway ... according to this post Kongregate was about to stop the cooperation anyway.

I have many friends who were playing via 3rd party sites and they all ditched them and now thy are playing directly. I would suggest you the same. All you have to do is contact DSO Support ... they will transfer your account and you will be able to play directly. Then you can play in IE 11 OR if you are concern about the security you can play it directly through DSO Client (you will have to download the client ... but after you transfer with the help of the support).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    GoulishNightmares likes this.
  4. Xasshaiza

Java IS installed, and up to date!!! How do you think I play (A BUNCH OF GAMES, just not this one) on Kongregate?!

5. trakilaki

You don't understand what I say. You can't play any game that requires Java in Chrome or Firefox. They discontinued and and no longer support Java https://java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml .
    Java is still functioning and releases patches ... but it is disabled in Chrome and Firefox ... you can't use Java anymore with those browsers.
    You can play via IE 11 ... but you were asking about the security. You said IE is defunct and old and you have fears about the security. If so ... the only other possible way to play the game is via DSO Client ... and you will be able to play in Client only if you transfer from Kongregate to DSO directly. You can't play in DSO Client via Kongregate. You can only play in browser- IE 11 (and no other browser).

6. Xasshaiza

You don't understand what I am saying! I make digital snowflakes here! I play games here AND on Kongregate. For now at least, (Using Win 7 atm, I play old games like [EDIT many games] to name a few, as well as newer games.) you can add an exception to Java to make it run the site. I also did some googling, and found THIS! https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-enable-java-all-major-web-browsers So I installed this, and will try that. The reason for that is, I want to try the game, and see if I like it. If so, I will worry about an account transfer then.

Last edited by moderator: Feb 28, 2018
  7. trakilaki

So you installed a plugin so you can use another plugin (which you never mentioned before) ... yet you are concerned about
    It is your right to do whatever you like on your PC ... All i said ^ still stands.
    Sorry for trying to help you.
    Good luck with your adventures :)

8. Xasshaiza

Not all you said still stands, you can still run java in Chrome on some versions of Windows! And, your passive aggressive sarcasm is not appreciated! Even WITH the plugin, Chrome is still safer than IE, and has been for a LONG time! The new Microsoft Edge browser, I don't know about yet. I do thank you for letting me know about the account transfer though. All I want to do is *TRY* this game and see if I like it. I am NOT going to set up IE (UGGGGHHH) just for that!

9. If you find that there is another way to play DSO in browser, please share. However I don't think it necessary to use so many exclamation points and just plain rudeness to someone who is merely trying to help. Not that serious☺

10. Xasshaiza

I did share, read my post #6. I find it aggravating to have someone repeat the same statements to me more than once, when I have clearly said that I am in fact doing what they say is "impossible".

11. Well your problem and question are solved then. Have a nice day.☺

12. Xasshaiza

Have not tried IE Tab....yet. Knee hurting badly, injured it twice this winter and might need surgery. Had a shot yesterday and it has not fully kicked in yet. Will post results when I try it. Or, if you try it first, post results?

13. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

You aren't very smart, are you? One of the most helpful and knowledgeable people on the EN forums takes time to tell you what you need to know and you think you know enough to tell him that he is wrong? Did you really think that would go over well? He only gets sarcastic when people act stupid.

My turn, I guess.

Let me summarize:

The browser version of this game (as opposed to the client) requires Java. Specifically, this game needs access to a special Application Program Interface (an API) called NPAPI to embed the Nebula3 game engine in the browser. NPAPI is dated and seriously in need of replacing, so, in an effort to hurry along that process, Chrome, and then Firefox discontinued support for NPAPI over a year ago in favor of HTML5. Internet Explorer is the only mainstream browser that still supports it. It does not matter that you have Java installed or if you have a plugin for Chrome because there is no NPAPI support. You can make your digital snow flakes or all those other games because they use a different API to load their game engine (if it even runs in a game engine) into the browser. If DSO cared enough, they could higher a developer experienced in this and re-code the web launcher to be compatible with HTML5, but that takes time and money that BP seems unwilling to spend at this time.

So what? We aren't telling you to change your entire online experience to Internet Explorer. We are simply telling you that if you want to run this game in a Browser instead of the client, you will have to do it in IE. The only thing I use Internet Explorer for is this game. Compare that to my Chrome tabs.

Your only other option is to do what Trakilaki suggested and contact support to convert your account to a normal account so you can play via the client. Or, since you haven't even started this game, start an account directly from Big Point instead of Kongregate so that you don't have to go through that hassle and download the client from DSO's home page. The point remains the same... If you want to play, you need either the client or Internet Explorer. Wishing otherwise won't make it reality.

14. Anyki

Anyki User

Hello and welcome to the forums and game, @Xasshaiza.

Thank you for your interest in this game. Unfortunately, the only browser that currently supports this game is IE11. If you wish to play the game you have two options at the present time:​
    • Play from IE11 - You will be able to play from Kongregate or directly through Drakensang Online itself.
    • Play from Thin Client - You will have to register for an account with Drakensang Online.
    I encourage you to sign up for an account directly with Drakensang Online if you haven't started already. Support for various third-party access to DSO is spotty at times and there is a history of technical difficulties if the support is discontinued. If you wish to pursue use of other plugins to force Chrome to allow you to play DSO, you may. But please do not be surprised if it does not work.

As you are new to the forums, I do encourage you to take a glance at the forum rules, the link for which is in my signature. We do not allow mentioning of other games on this forum, so I will be editing your post. ;)

And for all posters here regardless of the age of your account, play nice. I will only give this warning once.​

Cheers,
    Anyki

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  15. Arr

Arr Forum Expert

not safe for what?
    this game requires java to run on your browser and the only browser that support the java plugin is internet explorer

16. Dragonnns

Dragonnns Count Count

In case he uses IE to go to .ru sites? Heck if I know. If you only use IE to use with DSO, I don't get the risk factor...

17. MikeyMetro

MikeyMetro Forum Overlooker

IE 11 is still supported by MS (for WIN 10.) Also the latest info from them said they will continue to support it thru the end of the OS life cycle. Oracle has announced that it will discontinue the Java npapi (someday, they keep changing their mind as to when) but until then they are still doing security updates. As long as basic net safety is practiced the risk is no greater than any other browser.

Anyway
    A few shots of vodka should help with that knee. You can get some really good bulk purchase deals from some .ru sites (although I use TOR instead of any of the above mentioned browsers when dealing with those people ;))

Luck be with ye,
    Mikey,
    Tegan

Dragonnns likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.