Deep Sea and Resists

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Unagiri, Mar 10, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unagiri

Unagiri Someday Author

Hi.

So I did a search on the Deep Sea set and none of them addressed what I wanted to ask.

I notice that even with the set bonuses, the Deep Sea set doesn't address your resists. Right now my Level 39 1H DK has about 43% resists, 51% armour, 34% block rate, and about 5k health. It seems to be holding up quite well for now at Atlantis - temple section.

Considering that the set requires you to wear at least 4-5 items for the bonuses to really be worthwhile, won't i have to give up on my resists for this? Not to mention damage rating.

So there are 2 related questions.

1. Is the set really worth it considering what I would have to give up? (By the way, my min base damage right now is a lowly 405. And I have negligible CHR). And I know we can always buy gems or craft the items to address the dmg and resists lost, but I'm just only about to hit 40 and don't want to waste too much resources.

2. Ultimately, is armour rating more important than resists? As in, health>armour>resist? Since I notice that Baragain's DK for instance has a 70+% AC vs 30+% resist. And yes, i did read up on the discussions about how some attacks are a mix of elemental, andermagic, and physical.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. cdeepal

cdeepal Forum Baron

Resists are not important at lower levels. Most of the monsters prior to level 45 only have physical attacks. So, the armor is more important. Also, even past level 45, every monster have physical and some have elemental attacks. So, it is better to have more armor than resists.

This set is a good set to have until you find better ones later.

Unfortunately Gorga does not drop these set pieces as frequently as it used to before the last update.

Having 34% block rate is as having no block rate. If you don't at least have over 50% block rate, you are better off with a 2H weapon.

I suggest you to switch to a 2H weapon, get rid of some of your resists and replace them with more armor or health. Don't worry about crit. You don't need much crit until you reach higher levels.

Try to keep 3:1 ratio on health:armor. I would not worry about resists until you reach 50.
    Don't look at Baragain's stats. He is at the highest end of the spectrum and does not represents a newbie build.

3. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

What he said. My toon is almost 5 years old, and I've been tweaking him heavily for the last 12 months getting him as near to perfect as I can. That, and I'm LVL 55 which means I've got access to the best of everything. What is more important right now is that you level up. At this time, everything you find can be replaced within the next 5-7 levels. Getting hung up on a set that you will just melt in a couple days (or a week or two) isn't worth it.

Also, when you reach 50, items on the left will start coming with resistance as a base stat in addition to armor and HP, so you will gain a fair amount of defense when you reach 50.

Finally, most players get a majority of their resistance from their gems with the exception of heavy tank build DKs who are going for 65%+ elemental reduction for some of the hardest bosses in the game. Just collect diamonds and fill 3-4 items with them, maybe 5 if you have a bunch.

4. Unagiri

Unagiri Someday Author

Thanks, cdeepal and Baragain.

I was actually looking only at your armour-resist percentages was wondering if that was an effective ratio.

About physical attacks, I find that the jellyfishes, gorgons, cerebus-es, etc are all elemental attackers more than physical. My resist was actually much much lower. But by increasing the resists, I fared much better.

Anyways, this is what I landed up with:

[​IMG]

_Baragain_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.