Am I a noob just because I don't engage in pvp?

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by therpgrogue, Sep 23, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therpgrogue

therpgrogue Forum Apprentice

I am generally the "player one" gamer who doesn't seem to good at pvp and joined this MMO to co op against the monsters and level up because it is a solid role playing game, but I am kind of a serious gamer. Am I a noob just because I prefer not to engage into PVP?

What determines a noob on here?

I mean can I be a good "Drakensang online gamer" with gaining achievement points.

Im on level 23 at the moment, wayfarer with achievements, fair enough still noob, but in the future?

2. MikeyMetro

MikeyMetro Forum Overlooker

Achievements are fluff. No worries there. Just keep playing and the achievement ranks will come. There is actually more potential points than ranks in the game atm.

As for not wanting to play pvp in one of the most imbalanced & broken systems in the history of multiplayer games that makes you more of an Einstein than a noob :D

Luck be with ye,
    Mikey,
    Tegan

Gevilson likes this.
  3. Iselda

Iselda Advanced

There are plenty of players here in DSO that don't participate in the pvp part, so don't feel isolated or sth like that. Just play as you want and try to enjoy the game... Yeah I know that it's difficult nowadays, but at least try ;)

4. Saved_81

Saved_81 Forum Master

As Mikey said, not playing the PvP in this game is more a sign of decent IQ than anything else.
    Sadly you should do that untill you reach lvl 55 wisdom.

5. therpgrogue

Okay thanks for the tips guys!

6. iNeXoRaBlE

iNeXoRaBlE Forum Great Master

You are not noob even though i find it pointless doing all that farm just to kill only monsters, why do you bother killing the boss anyway.
    I see it just a testing of power. The system is definitely broken but there is not point just farming for me at least.

7. cdeepal

cdeepal Forum Baron

I never call someone a noob because noob is a derogative term for a newbie. It is a phrase that any respectful person should never use.

Are you a newbie? Yes. You are a newbie.
    If you would never play PvP, would you be a newbie? Yes, because you will always be a newbie at PvP because you wouldn't know how to play PvP. PvP needs some tactics, tricks, know hows.

Even if you are a strong player, without knowing your way around in PvP, you will feel overwhelmed by the opponents. It is natural. We all have been there. Even now, if I joined a PvP battle in any other game, I would feel the same. I would feel overwhelmed, lost and frustrated. But, if you get past that, if you bite the bullet and stayed doing PvP for few more battles, you will start getting the hang of it. As you do more and more PvP, you will realize how fun it is and then you will not be a newbie anymore.

8. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

That is incorrect :p
    Noob and newbie are having two different meanings.

Newbie or newb is a person who is new at game. Out of gaming there are many equivalent words to newbie ... like greenhorn, rookie etc.
    Newbie is willing to learn from other skilled players. Newbies are not always bad at the game because they might have played similar games in the past.
    We were all newbs at some point ...

Noob or n00b is a person that sucks at gaming and is not willing to learn or listen to other skilled players. When noob is losing to other skilled player ... that player must be a "hacker". Then the noob will probably try to communicate with the other players in their own noobish language: "WTH U fr3Aking h4ck3r. I no wat im doin and U R 1 sh00t killing me. R3p0rtin U foR h4cking" .
    Noobs always know how to play but they are losing because the others are "hackers".
    We were all newbs at some point ... but not all of us became noobs.

I was using some of the dictionaries to closely depict them both :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    jaredjd13 and cdeepal like this.
  9. Saved_81

Saved_81 Forum Master

Try to kill every PW boss in Infernal 2 with 0 death and then come here telling that's just a testing of power.
    Before that try to test yourself completing the same PW run with lower timing every time.

I know someone can't understand the hardest opponent is yourself and the fact that improving yourself can be as challenging as fighting against other players.

It would be even better if they will release someday PWs that could be completed with very specific groups and perfect coop between the players, it would make this game unique of his kind (because it's really hard to implement this in an ARPG).

10. therpgrogue

Look for now I will stick out of PVP until maybe level 40 or something when I have better gear and just stick to getting good and dealing with mobs. Someone already advised me not to go into PVP until level 55 anyway.

11. bLaind

bLaind Forum Baron

The sooner you start to play PvP, the better... or max lvl PvP will scare EDIT out of you! Even PvP around lvl 40 has become a 1 hit fest.

Last edited by moderator: Sep 26, 2017
  12. therpgrogue

I have a Level 25 DragonKnight and I am already struggling against lower levels. I am not a "noobie noob" because I am willing to learn from my mistakes. Mages are really good at 1v1. What are some tips to make it less harder, so many people can do it I feel outnumbered.

---MERGED---

I die against lower levels than me, I need some help.

Last edited by moderator: Sep 26, 2017
  13. Dragonnns

Dragonnns Count Count

You are likely battling twinks. These are players who worked to stay at low levels but have high level gear and gems. You aren't going to win against them. Many level up to 55 before starting PvP just so the gear is closer to equal.

14. therpgrogue

Good idea that is what I will do.

15. I only just recently just joined back to DSO after an extended break. I left on level 27, and have been back for about a month or so now. I have gained several achievements just from leveling and questing, reaching level 47 in a matter of about a month. I never do PVP as in my POV it is pointless, and you really gain nothing other than "bragging" rights. I joined to play the game. Not fight other players so no I do not believe you would be a noob just for not doing pvp. Your skill is determined how well you play the game in my opinion. :) Goodluck!

16. therpgrogue

Thank you. I do believe that I am getting good against PVE now. I am using more tactical approaches.

17. sargon234

sargon234 Commander of the Forum

No you aren't a noob, you are one who cares about mental health and does not want to see the horror behind the veil: that horrific thing causes madness and insanity in those who look into it and bask into it: only the strongest of mind can overcame this fate, all others are doomed, all fall to the depths of insanity, abandon all hope all ye who enter

Achievement do necessarily make a good player, they show their dedication to achievement hunting and time played
    A good player is one who know who to play, the character in game is another matter, that is a matter of farming and of crafting, that takes time

18. therpgrogue

Thank you very much :). I do like achievement hunting in this game and playing quests, i do not care for rankings or anything like that. As for my character, I'll just level up and see what I get, I do use the workbench often.

19. Raghveir

Raghveir Forum Greenhorn

Newbie as I am ( started in August, currently 51 lvl SW) I encourage you to participate in PVP at least for the sake of dailies. There is one important thing you don't want to miss - clovers. These are hard to come by and I've yet to discover other source for them.

I particpate in 1vs1 mainly - tried 3vs3 and 5vs5, but it shows how badly pvp is designed - too little players to choose from, to much lvl differences.

1vs1 can be enjoyable on all lvls , for SW at least, once you get the hang of it and remember few things:
    1. You'll lose many times at the beginning, because you lack experience and do not know which skills are important
    2. Twinks are not that frequent as you think - exp block is a thing of the past so you only have heavy buyers ( which are also not that popular)
    3. As players usually do pvp only for dailies, You will meet higher lvls and lose badly
    4. Opposite to 3. you'll also meet people similar to you or weaker, either in lvl or in game experience - so You do have the chance to win.
    5. Unfortunately DK being melee is the toughest to play on mid/early lvls due to lack of skills - that said I did meet some well fighting DKs on my lvl and win was not guaranteed ( 50/50 depending on luck ;)
    6. Last but not least - there is an option to participate only, not to win , 14 battles is not that much given the reward ;)
    7. And dont take loses personally - at the beggining I wanted to throw my laptop through the window few times, but now I'm just "meh" I'll win another time, or not :) And you'll learn many tactics players use which is very helpful :)

It looks like I'm praising pvp but I'm not - it should be reworked to give players pleasure weather they win or lose , not to make them grit their teeth in frustration .

I battle only for dailies , sometimes I'm not even in the mood - unless there is clover as reward. This changed though once I hit lvl 50 and gem refiners popped out as a reward ;) So now I'm trying to do all every day - but man it's frustrating to die OH from 55 lvl ....

20. Rhysingstar

Rhysingstar Forum Ambassador

They also appear in the daily buys (if you wish to spend your ander that way) and they can be gotten by gambling at the jesters. Occasionally they are even part of a bonus code and there was an event that provided them also.

I'm probably the odd man out, but I would not call clovers "important". They are nice to have, but not game changing in and of themselves. Added to good gear, yes they make a difference, but if you're main focus isn't pvp, they aren't exactly needed.

I stopped doing pvp right before R155 and haven't missed it in the slightest. Between the horrible wait times (on the ghost server) and the beyond ridiculous matching system, it isn't worth my time nor my effort regardless of the current possible prizes.

Add to that, most of the name calling and complaining about the game is a direct result of pvp, resulting in players quitting the game.

Let us also not forget that 100% of the nerfs are because of pvp.

Maybe one day DSO will fix the broken system, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.