black screen

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by thouvou000, Mar 4, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thouvou000

thouvou000 Forum Expert

Here is the problem: Its been quite a while now, since october or september i think, that i have been getting black screens more than once a day. The number of black screens is not standard, although i have not gotten less than 3 per day. Today i have gotten 1 black screen per hour of gameplay so far and i am so pissed that i decided to make a post. I am playing though the thin client, not the explorer.

What happens is simple: I am playing normally and all of a sudden the game freezes once and the second time it freezes the game crashes and black screen appears, making me unable to do anything except closing the client and relog again. Anyone else having relative issues? I cannot play through the explorer and i have tried everything i could on my own and also i have not installed or done anything to my pc that could account for this issue. Im just hoping there is something that can be done. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. Erebus

Erebus User

Hello @thouvou000 , I need to ask, whenever you get a black screen, do you get a pop-up with any error code, or any notification such as, e.g., "dro_client.exe has stopped working"?

Also, in the meantime you could check our Technical FAQ and try some of the troubleshooting methods suggested there. If you already tried any, please let us know as well, thanks.

3. Dragonnns

Dragonnns Count Count

I just started using the client today and I've had three of those black screens. There is no error message. And it freezes not only the game, but my start menu button. I can get to the task manager and kill it. Is there an error log where I might be able to find the error information?

4. Erebus

Erebus User

Ok, a few questions for both of you:

- What is your OS version?
    - When did you last clear your DSOClient temp folder?
    - Have you scanned for viruses and malware?
    - Have you checked to see if your graphics driver, codec and DirectX versions are all up-to-date?
    - Does there appear to be any common trigger for the black screens - e.g. changing maps, teleporting back to a particular urban location, being AFK for a few minutes, fast-selling via a merchant, etc?
    - Does the cient completely lock up or are you abe to change the client window size still?
    - Have you checked your computer's crash reports?

Please let us know so that we can hopefully get closer to what's causing the issue. ;)

5. thouvou000

thouvou000 Forum Expert

Well, i am pretty sure i have cleared my DSOClient temp many times since this issue occured. I even reinstalled the game. Also, i have scanned everything possible and my system is clean. As for graphics, codec and DirectX they were pretty much up-to-date when that happened and they still are. Furthermore, no error message appears, the screen just goes blacn and so i have to close the client and relog. The problem has no relation to changing map or teleport and stuff like that. It occurs all of a sudden at random times. The client does not lock up. As for my computers crash reports, i have not checked them.
    P.S: my OS is Windows 7, 4Gb RAM, 2.4 GHz. 64bit, i5 and all these on laptop by the way. The thing is that even though it is kinda old compared to others it runs most of my games smoothly and was running this game smoothly as well till one day... boom black screen. Thats why i am really confused what is going on

6. Erebus

Erebus User

@thouvou000 , have you experienced any severe lag issues around the time of the crash?, also, have you done any ping tests and/or checked your internet connection for any speed and stability issues when it happens?

7. thouvou000

thouvou000 Forum Expert

No. And thats why it is so strange. Even if it lags or it does not same story. My internet connection is fine and i am pretty sure i got black screens many times when i had 0 lag. Also my latency rarely changes, almost never

8. Dragonnns

Dragonnns Count Count

Let me know if I can help find any other error messages. I'd LOVE to get this fixed.

Oh, and there is nothing in the Security and Maintenance control panel. If someone from DSO wants to log in to my computer, I have the tools to make that happen. Just let me know.

9. Erebus

Erebus User

Thank you both for your input, I'm escalating the information you provided me and I'll come back with an answer as soon as I can, please bear with us for a bit. ;)

----------------------------------

@thouvou000 and @Dragonnns , I need you to do a couple of things:

First, go to your device manager and make sure both your video and audio drivers are updated to the latest ones available, also, if you're using any type of media codecs, double check that you're using the latest versions.

After you've done that, disable your antivirus temporarily and try to run the game, please let us know if the issue persists after that.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.