Reboot PVP

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by ZenGrinding, Aug 21, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZenGrinding

ZenGrinding Forum Greenhorn

Dear Bigpoint, you are missing out on a lot of profits!

Darkensang is a good game, it already successfully introduced many great features. It looks better than its rivals and feels more responsive. But it will never conquer certain markets without being a lot better than its highly advertised and homegrown rivals and that will never happen with its current PVP mode.

Without any insight into statistics I would dare to say, that many players dislike PVP in Drakensang. At least that would explain the long waiting times.

The reason is simple, especially new players are often confronted with ridiculously overpowered opponents and spammed with insults over chat.

Both problems are easy to solve and has been solved by other games already.

First the balancing:
    There is no chance of making fair matches without enough PVP players. Combat value is the right idea, but it cannot magically create more matching players.
    To solve that simply introduce an arena mode with preset gear and bonuses. Fairness is fun, fun means more players and free publicity and that means more profits.
    You can make it free of any rewards such as honor points. People will play it anyway and by doing so get more interested in PVP. Of course your company earns a lot of money with pay-to-win addicted pvp players, but none of them will quit because of one more purely skill based PVP mode, quite the opposite.

Secondly the insults:
    Simply put PVP opponents on the ignore lists for the match and 10 min after. As our biology goes, aggression falls apart in minutes after it was created. With that feature, you can train your most unsocial players to not give in to hateful comments.
    With the currents tendencies in new legislation, service providers in the EU could be held responsible for chats in the near future. So this step would simply be proactive and reduce the costs for support.

None of those ideas are expensive or complicated to program. Simply try them out on test servers and enjoy the positive feedback.

2. alchimista

alchimista Forum Pro

First :
    thou must not consider "your" point of view as not the only right one.
    The one thing that generates fun for you is not the same for me or to another player.
    you are a player not a dev nor a business manager ( i suppose ) : so to each one his duty.

Secondly :
    it is closely connected to your "first" point.
    Personally in pvp I use chat to talk with other players.
    For those offensive one just click "add to ignore list".
    Due to the fact that you cannot forecast what a player will write to you : first read than add/block.
    Personally I found bored whiners to add in ignore list as new players to add in friend list ( to farm with) ;)

as you freely choose

3. Rhysingstar

Rhysingstar Forum Ambassador

Your first suggestion has been mentioned before, most recently here. If this were done as an added addition to the current pvp options that wouldn't be a bad idea. Providing more options is a good thing. It could be interesting.

As for your second idea, if you're getting your feelings hurt by complete strangers on the internet I don't know what to tell you. I don't know about you, but I hear far rougher language out here in the real world than I do in this particular game.

ZenGrinding likes this.
  4. ZenGrinding

ZenGrinding Forum Greenhorn

The difference between an opinion and an argument is its falsifiability.
    My argument is simple: Mainly skill based PVP is commercially more successful. [EDIT] are the currently highest crossing games, both simple with e-sport character.

Now, you are welcome to falsify it.

Last edited by moderator: Aug 26, 2017
  5. Rhysingstar

I absolutely love the idea of adding more options to pvp.

I would like to see a pvp training area where new/inexperienced players could go fight a NPC just to learn the skills and techniques.

Adding pvp skills like we used to have was a great incentive and should be brought back. I would like to see pvp gear added.

A couple years back they talked about adding guild wars and players got excited about it. Of course that was before the massive dmg jumps and pvp went off the rails.

However, right now I would prefer them to fix the current pvp before adding something else.

I'm so sick of being nerfed and seeing the daily posts asking for nerfs which is 100% related to pvp. Fix it, then we can talk about adding something.

Maybe, just maybe if it were truly fixed we might get some people playing this game again.

6. alchimista

alchimista Forum Pro

Why are you so truly hatred against those more powerful than you ? calling them "bot using cheaters" ? Game is alive since 6 years OR maybe they simply support the game more than you ( with 4K or 5K pounds :D ).

So will you truly prefer a Premier League pvp and a division 2 ?
    is it better to have never the possibility to face someone stronger than you and play inside a B pvp class instead of a 2-0 result ?

7. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

CV is the idea wrong most possible
    No one will play there.
    Maybe few newbies ... but after some time after getting decent gear in PvE they will ignore it too.
    No ... BP will not make any profit ... because this idea is based to "same gear for all" philosophy ... how can they make profit if the gear is same for all? In order to make profit they need to implement additional items, gems, runes, rarity ... etc ... so the players can spend by upgrading the gear ... and believe it or not ... We already have that. There is no reason to make anyone go back at ZERO point just to make them spend the same all over again.
    Plain example: Why should I have same gear with someone who started playing yesterday? I was here throughout the years and supporting the game ... should I be punished for that?

As for the insults ... that depends what you consider to be insult ... something what is insulting to you can be perfectly normal for me ... different cultures have different measurements and criteria.
    You already have ignore playlist ... if some players are bothering you just put them to ignore list.

8. Rhysingstar

There isn't a ton of variety now. How many times have you yourself made the argument of the bandwagon players?

If this idea were an addition to the current lineup of pvp it could be a good thing.

The reward of pvp gear is a decent idea even if used as some of the other worthless ones and counts only as finishing a set. However, I prefer a reward that would create an incentive to play.

We have 1v1, 3v3, 5v5 and 6v6. So why not add one that relies completely on a limited gear selection? More options is rarely a bad thing.

Players would have the opportunity to play or not, doesn't hurt a thing. It would not punish those of us who have been around, but would instead give us something else to do.

9. cdeepal

cdeepal Forum Baron

Why do you think some people (like me) play this game instead of those you call commercially successful games?
    Why would you think if this game was made similar to those games, that the current players would still continue to play this game instead of those other games?

Rhysingstar likes this.
  10. Rhysingstar

Some of us like to punish ourselves :p

For me, after 8 years on the big game, I got bored. I was blown away with the visual aspect of DSO. That is what got my attention.

Personally I think that it is already too much like some. I would prefer a little more originality, but you're point will probably be missed by the long time players of those games that are now moving to this one.

11. krawler2018

krawler2018 Junior Expert

I get myself minced lately in pvp when i play against mages with crazy attack speed and damage, what sucks is when a few very very strong players make their own group and play 5v5 or 6v6 and u lose super fast. Rebooting pvp how? Id rather get minced and play rather than wait 2 hours to play a 5v5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.