Generic newbie questions

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Aeridium, Oct 9, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aeridium

Aeridium Forum Greenhorn

I'm a complete stranger to the game, or games of this genre, for that matter. I have some questions that require answering, any help would be appreciated.

First, while I got the hang of PvE, I keep scratching my head over what the hell is wrong with PvP, I've done a couple of matches (I'm lv35 Ranger, with mediocre gear), I wasn't really expecting to win, I just wanted to see how PvP works, I cranked up a simple pvp build, mustered the highest damage I could get, and when I got into the dueling map, all the players I fought basically one-shot me, though they are higher in level, it seemed kinda ridiculous to me, 'specially because the way they played, they expected such a result.
    My question is: Is this a normal thing? Should I avoid PvP altogether until I reach the 55 lvl cap?

Second, I'd like to understand how Unique items work, I've jumped straight to Mystra to farm for Lvl 35 and I was lucky enough to loot this longbow called Macrocheira (lvl40), which is very decent stat-wise, but before this I looted the majority of Robust Norse set, which was nice, but I abandoned it because it'll be obsolete after I reach a higher level.
    My 2nd Question: For a person aiming to farm straight to the level cap, is farming for these items worth it at all? I hear that the best farming areas are in the "parallel world".

Finally, about mounts and pets, are they something that come over time, as you participate in events or do they need special farming? I understand that some epic mounts are won via PvP which I seem to suck on, about pets, I was able to loot a pudgy dragonspawn via Lucky pet chest thingy, should I worry about them at all or should I simply focus on leveling up my character?

TL;DR:
    I guess what I'm saying is, is it better to work straight to lvl 55 and then worry about PvP, farming high-tier equipment, pets and mounts, or is it something that should be built in as I level up?

2. Frostarch

Frostarch Junior Expert

Go straight to max level and only then care about farming for gear.

3. Morinphen

Morinphen Forum Overlooker

Firstly, hello & welcome to the game and EN forum!

1) PvP is not very friendly below cap-level. Won't be the perfect system even at 55, but still... I, for one, am one of those who doesn't care much for it - either I play casually when bored, close to finishing a quest there or seeking to complete my daily challenges for a Gilded Clover (a rarer, special type of currency).

2) Rushing too much might make it hard to start once at maximum, so my advice for while you're on the way is to use whatever gear you can find while normal-questing or XP farming for more quests and don't fret too much unless you find it hard to progress with the levelling (so upgrade gear from time to time if it becomes obsolete or you find better, etc.).

3) Mounts & pets are diverse and can be obtained from many different sources. Check the Collector's Bag (press W) and you can browse through virtually all of them (minor exceptions include very old ones, new additions get included and highlighted as they appear) - you can see their looks, effects and a hint about where they can be gotten from (though not really all of that is 100% true, so only use it as a clue); and, of course, the said bag serves as storage-space for your emotes, costumes, mounts and pets (plus, gives bonuses - check the tabs).

Now, mounts only differ (game-impact-wise) from Mounts (+70% travel speed) to Epic Mounts (+100% travel speed). There's also a Mythical Mount (see dragons' section, you can't miss it) which adds +120% travel speed, but it's one of the rarest things there is in the game. Anyway, via Collector Bag bonuses (owning a majority of members of one said category) you can gain speed boosts (permanent).

Pets are more impactful and have an array of effects; you'll see which is best for what as you go. If you have one, it suffices for the time being, in that you can use it for an extra boost. When you get more, you can compare and use whichever you think you need most.

Conclusion: just enjoy the game as you go, collect stuff, have fun. You can worry about the best gear and PvP later on. Happy gaming ;).

Shine2 likes this.
  4. Aeridium

Aeridium Forum Greenhorn

Thanks for the detailed post, this was very helpful

Morinphen likes this.
  5. therpgrogue

therpgrogue Forum Apprentice

I don't bother with PVP and I enjoy the PVE elements of the game particularly when playing with my friends over voice chat on Discord. It is just fun to go questing and defeating bosses together and all, while laughing at the quest items at the same time.

:). My server is Heredur. If you would like to play with me, then add me SteelHeart11 on there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.