What's this game?

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by loebrahl, Aug 12, 2015.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loebrahl

loebrahl Forum Greenhorn

Made 2 characters on what is supposed to be a US East server, PvE.

So I played for a while. Got to level 27. Paid for a month, bought some in game cash and spent it.

Then I look around and see a LOT of PvP players hanging, all apparently end game. I see nothing in English ever in chat. I am constantly invited into guilds and groups where not a soul speaks English.

Then I ask in chat if the only thing available in end game is PvP. No response at all. So I ask if anyone speaks English. Again no one responds at all. Then I ask if there are any English speaking guilds. NOW REMEMBER THIS IS ***SUPPOSED*** TO BE A US-EAST SERVER.

So I ask, just what's up with this game? Is it entirely European? IS the only end game on it PvP? Just what's up with this game and am I completely wasting my time here as an English speaking American?

2. Chuhi

Chuhi Forum Greenhorn

There are English speakers, as well as English speaking guilds on the server you're on, presumably on the Agathon or Tegan servers. There is a guild section on these forums where you can communicate with others whom are English speaking.

3. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

How can Mexican or Brazilian player be European? :D
    Those two servers are located in US but there are lot of players from other parts of the world.
    Just read the forum or try finding friends in the game.

Allogeneous likes this.
  4. Darwarren

Darwarren Count Count

Welcome to the 21st Century Internet. No local, regional, or national boundaries, and English is not the dominant language in the USA.

5. Rhysingstar

Rhysingstar Forum Ambassador

The server descriptions aren't exactly accurate. Both U.S. servers are located in California and have people from all over North and South America, parts of Asia and other countries from around the world.

There are plenty of English speakers who play this game on several of the servers. The guild section is the best place to find them, just be patient. The two main areas in game to find people are Kings Hill and Watery Grave, you should be able to find some players who speak english there.

Huh? Maybe you meant english is not the most dominant language in the world, according the last U.S. census, more than 230 million Americans still list english as their first language. Spanish came in at a very distant 2nd place with just over 37 million people.

6. loebrahl

loebrahl Forum Greenhorn

Have no idea where you live in the US, but you are actually incorrect. Perhaps you think Spanish is the predominate language?

--MERGED--

Generally when a game desigates east and west USA they are letting people know where they can usually find others playing. 4 hours difference in time zones across the US can make a huge difference on when your guild and friends might be playing.

--MERGED--

I still haven't heard anything about end game. Is there end game PvE such as raids, or is it entirely PvP?

Last edited by moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  7. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

The endgame is basically grinding for better equipment and playing PVP. But the game expansion is 2 weeks away ... so there will be no endgame ... at least for some time.

8. Darwarren

Darwarren Count Count

It may be a matter of semantics. The point was that times have changed.

Despite regional preferences, English is not the dominant language in the USA, it was and still is the most common.
    But there are several other common languages with huge followings. In some areas, other languages run the show.
    The law to make English the official USA language never passed.
    Documents are routinely provided in other languages. Phone service is even extended to the deaf.
    Schools are required to teach in multiple languages in several locations.
    Population pressures back the projection of Spanish becoming the predominant language in a few more years.
    As long as the dollar is the unofficial world currency, English will probably still be the mainstay of international business. But that is short-term speculation.

Xenophobia may be popular back home, but a working knowledge of other languages will be more handy as time goes on.
    It is widely accepted, that the Internet has broken international borders and customs, making a world society possible.

Now back to the game.

Allogeneous likes this.
  9. @loebrahl
    1) DSO servers are divided between two sites – Calif, USA and Berlin, Germany. Each location has a variety of country/language users. The two US servers, for example, have players from the Americas, Australasia, Asia, etc, who speak English, Spanish, Filipino, Portuguese, Indonesian, etc. The European servers have users of an even greater linguistic variety. Many players who have a language other than English as their main language are either fluent in English as well or at least understand basic in-game requests - e.g "Group for Khalys", "Group 18-23 for event". If you find it particularly frustrating grouping with non-English speakers, you can find several language-specific guilds on each server. If you cannot find one, post a request on the DSO Forum.
    2) American is not a language. At best, it is a bastardisation/dialect of English.
    3) The forum has a very handy feature known as a "Search function". If you utilise it, you will find existing threads on this exact same topic as well as many threads about PvE and PvP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.